Are you one of those people who simply can’t get enough of Star Wars? Then the X-Wing Games is a definite must play for you.
The Cph X-Wings visited the Summertime Boardgames during Star Wars theme night. About 10 players willingly let anyone into their world of childish – and much detailed – Miniature Star Wars fantasy as the classical battle between Empire and Rebels takes place.
Cutting down on equipment does not seem to be the issue to any of the male players, old enough to remember the original Star Wars from their TV-childhood. Personally, I was glad to have a paper with explanations of all the various symbols.
After watching players Kim and Bugge fight each other at the asteroid-covered canvas for nearly an hour I understand why. You can almost hear the theme from Star Wars playing as the men let out authentic sound effects when their miniature spaceships lifts off the ground to new galaxies.
– The best part is the narrative. You can really build up a story about this pilot fighting in his burning spaceships and that is why children as young as 6-7 years can play with us, says Bugge.
It is possible to make the game more or less complicated but in short terms it comes down to this:
1. The Planning Phase: Players secretly chooses the maneuver for each spaceship
2. The Activation Phase: Spaceships moves and performs actions in turns, according to the pilot skill, type of spaceship and action tokens.
3. The Combat Phase: Spaceships attacks enemy ships inside its permitted firing arc.
4. The End Phase: Players remove remaining action tokens and start a new round.
How well you do will depend on your pilot skills, how good your equipment is for your spaceships, your strategy – but also on pure luck during the combat, when you let the dices roll and decide.
Bugge managed to destroy almost all Kim’s spaceships within an hour. He has pimped his good spaceships with lots of extra goodies,
– You can actually play basics with a box of around 250 DDK. But most people do not settle for that, he grins as he takes a look around the room.